If you are anything like me deciding whether or not you need to see a doctor is harder than dropping half your annual salary on a vacation or changing your career path in the middle of being super successful.
I hate visiting the doctor despite working for one on a regular basis.
I hate visiting the doctor because I would rather buy new shoes than pay someone tell me I’m sick with whatever I’m sick with.
Because I hate going to the doctor I don’t have a regular doctor, and there is nothing I hate more than having to explain my personal and (extensive) family medical history to someone who thinks I’m a moron.
Because I hate going to the doctor I have devised a system of determining whether or not it’s worth the trouble of an appointment. Below is a list of questions, when you start saying yes to more than one or two maybe go ahead and get seen.
- Did someone offer to drive 200+ miles in the middle of the night to make sure you would get this ailment taken care of?
- Have people stopped listening to your complaining because it’s gone on for so long?
- Have you lost more than 1/3 of your total blood volume?
- Are weird colors getting involved?
- Has a portion of your body detached, or mostly detached?
- Did you think you could get showered and dressed without standing up?
- Have you slept for more than 24 or the last 36 hours?
- Do you have $300 to cover the cost of the appointment and tests?
- If you are thinking you may need an X-Ray, when was your last period?
- Wait, when was your last period?
- On the pain scale, are you suffering more than an 8?
- Is your weight up at the moment?
I doubt either of need the doctor today. Take some pills from an old prescription bottle that’s been in the cabinet for three or four years and feel better.